History space the legacy of fort ticonderoga

Thanks to one of the country’s earliest preservation efforts, the historic site continues to draw tens of thousands of visitors from around the world each year. In addition to the historic fortifications, the property consists of nearly 2000 acres of exquisite Adirondack landscape overlooking Lake Champlain and Vermont’s Green Mountains and is home to one of the finest military heritage museum collections in the world. The French, British and Fort Carillon

A war party of Algonquin, Montagnais, and Huron warriors brought Samuel de Champlain and two other Frenchmen to a skirmish with a Mohawk party at Ticonderoga that summer. For the first time firearms crackled along Lake Champlain’s shores, an event which would redefine how Europeans and Natives Americans interacted.


A century and a half later during the French and Indian War, the French army began fortifying the area.

Constructed beginning in the fall of 1755 Fort Carillon, later called Ticonderoga, was built to defend the waterway that the British threatened to use to reduce New France. On July 8, 1758 the British army attacked the French at Ticonderoga attempting to seize control of this position. Outnumbering the French army nearly four to one, the British were soundly defeated suffering casualties of nearly 2,000 men killed and wounded. For France, the Battle of Carillon was the greatest victory of the entire war. The British returned in July of 1759 and succeeded in capturing Ticonderoga. America’s first victory

Fort Ticonderoga has the distinction of being the site of the first American victory of the Revolutionary War. On May 10, 1775, Ethan Allan and his Green Mountain Boys along with Benedict Arnold captured the Fort in a daring early morning raid. The surprise attack followed an overnight crossing of Lake Champlain from Vermont into New York. The soldiers stormed the Fort with war cries and screams of “No Quarter,” which has the same meaning as “No Mercy!”

Despite the small numbers involved the American capture of Ticonderoga was a powerful moral victory and provided significant material resources for the American cause. Henry Knox arrived in December on Washington’s orders to remove some of the artillery captured at the Fort. Knox hauled the guns to Boston to provide the fledging American army critically needed heavy artillery. Ticonderoga’s guns helped force the British to evacuate Boston in March of 1776. The Pell Family and preserving Ticonderoga

In 1785, Fort Ticonderoga became the property of the state of New York. Ownership of the site was transferred jointly to Union College and Columbia College (now University) in 1803. In 1820 the fort and its 546-acre garrison grounds were purchased by successful New York merchant William Ferris Pell who began the legacy of the Pell family’s preservation of the site. In 1909 the descendants of William Ferris family began the restoration of the fort and the creation of the museum.

The Fort Ticonderoga Association also preserves the Pavilion. Capitalizing on the fort and its historic landscape, William Ferris Pell built a lakeside summer residence, the Pavilion, 500 yards below the fort’s ruins on the site of the former garrison garden and developed extensive “pleasure grounds” which – with the fort – became principal attractions for this country’s first generation of “heritage tourists.” The Pavilion served as a summer residence for William Ferris Pell and his family. By May of 1839 it was converted to use as a hotel, a function it served until 1900.

The King’s Garden, a walled formal colonial revival garden, inspired by the use of the gardens in the 18th-century by occupying armies, was designed by Marian Cruger Coffin, one of the first academically-trained American women to work as a professional landscape architect. Today their King’s Garden has been named “a masterwork American garden” by The Garden Conservancy. Fort Ticonderoga today

The Society, founded by Henry Knox and other Revolutionary War officers, was intended to perpetuate the achievement of independence and foster bonds between veteran officers of the Continental Army. The membership was exclusive to officers and passed to their eldest sons. The Gold Eagle Medal on display at Fort Ticonderoga belonged to Capt. Richard Douglass of Connecticut who served in the Continental Army through almost the entirety of the Revolutionary War and was present at many of its critical engagements.

Be on the lookout for more pop-up and temporary exhibits. For example – earlier this year museum staff made national news when they rediscovered a lock of Benedict Arnold’s hair in the collections. The fort celebrated by making it a marquee attraction on on the opening weekend. The Arnold locks are back in storage but other historic treasures will be on display. Heroic Corn Maze and Carillon cruises

Carillon Boat Cruises give guests an opportunity to view Fort Ticonderoga from a naval vantage point, and also offer an opportunity to relax on theLake Champlain and view enjoy the sweeping vistas of Vermont’s Green Mountains and New York’s Adirondack Mountains during a 90-minute narrated boat tour. Guests can have beer, wine, cocktails and soft drinks available to purchase on the cruise Visitor information